MP4 vs WebM Compare
A WebM file consists of VP8 video and Vorbis audio streams, in a container based on a profile of Matroska. It is an audio-video format designed to provide royalty-free, open video compression for use with HTML5 video.
MP4(MPEG-4 Part 14 or .mp4) is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4 which is developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG).
MP4 is a container which for the most part, uses the H.264 video codec which is almost a standard when it comes to MP4. WebM is just a more open as well as open source video format. It's format allows for decent playback on even the lowest powered devices.
Now, WebM is better but is not as popular, and thus less frequently used. It's sponsored by Google, so you may see some WebM videos on YouTube or other Google sites. But if the H.265 codec is released, which stumps WebM since it allows for twice the quality at half the bit rate.
Related Post of MP4 File formats
- SWF to MP4 Converter on Mac Lion
- Blu-Ray to MP4 Converter
- MP4 to MP3 Converter for Mac
- How to convert MP4 to OGV
- How to convert WebM to MP4
- How to convert AVCHD to MP4 on Mac
- Sony Webbie to Windows Movie Maker Converter
- MP4 to Video Converter
- 640x480 MP4 Video Converter
- Convert MOD to MP4 Mac
- How to convert MXF to MP4 for Mac
- OGV Video Converter
- 3D MVC Video Converter
- PVR to AVI, WMV, VOB Converter
- MKV to MP4 Converter
- How to convert MOD to MP4